Bournemouth are on the verge of relegation after shedding to local opponents Southampton – with the video assistant referee denying them an hurt-time equaliser.
Sam Surridge fired home from an ethical attitude – nonetheless a VAR overview as it would be chanced on that Callum Wilson was offside.
Danny Ings had keep Southampton forward and Che Adams blasted in a 2nd honest on the demise to entire an agonising few minutes for Bournemouth.
They’ll be relegated on Tuesday if Watford secure some degree in opposition to Manchester Metropolis – or if the Hornets secure one in opposition to Arsenal on the last day.
The Cherries – who must grab at Everton subsequent Sunday to hold any likelihood of survival – are three factors on the abet of the 17th-positioned Hornets, who are region to sack Nigel Pearson, with a worse draw difference by four.
Ings, 27, opened the scoring with a subtle build from honest exterior the box – his 21st Premier League draw of the season.
However he didn’t switch inner a draw of the league’s high scorer Jamie Vardy when his penalty was saved by Aaron Ramsdale.
Bournemouth ended with half their team having fun with up entrance and Harry Wilson’s curling effort was tipped throughout the put up by Alex McCarthy sooner than the boring, boring drama.
After Surridge’s draw was ruled out, Adams smashed home to create the Cherries’ draw difference even worse.
Bournemouth had been so terminate…
Bournemouth’s rise from the bottom of League Two to was an established Premier League team beneath Eddie Howe has been a immense myth lately.
However that can quickly all be over after a trot of 9 defeats in their previous 12 video games.
Three factors off safety – with a worse draw difference and one sport left – might appear savor a forgone conclusion. However Watford’s demanding trot-in in opposition to the Gunners and Metropolis will give Howe hope of on the least taking it to the last day.
Alternatively, their draw difference takes them beneath Aston Villa within the league, and 4 factors from Villa’s last two video games – in opposition to Arsenal and West Ham – would also relegate the Cherries.
They played some nice football in opposition to their neighbours, especially within the first half, nonetheless all their efforts on draw got here within the last 25 minutes as they threw every thing at Saints.
Harry Wilson hit a ragged shot in the direction of McCarthy, with Steve Cook dinner then heading straight on the keeper sooner than Harry Wilson was so terminate to rescuing some degree in hurt time.
Surridge thought he had his first Premier League draw boring on nonetheless Callum Wilson was rightly judged to be offside sooner than the synthetic pounced by VAR.
The Cherries hold been toothless this season and their wrestle was too small, too boring on Sunday.
Now they must honest wait and hope their dreams raise out no longer discontinuance in two days’ time at Vicarage Avenue.
Has Ings neglected likelihood at golden boot?
Southampton hold been safe for a whereas – having looked doomed sooner than Christmas – nonetheless their season has no longer petered out, with their unbeaten trot now extended to 6 video games.
The major subplot has been whether Ings, who has a solitary England cap, can grab the Golden Boot.
He is on 21 goals for the season after his subtle opener, when he took Nathan Redmond’s circulation, decrease previous a defender onto his honest foot and curled his shot home.
That is the 10th time he has opened the scoring in a league sport this season – and his fourth Premier League draw from exterior the box this term. No player has managed extra of both this campaign.
He went terminate over again honest after the break nonetheless curled wide.
And he’ll rue his boring trot-up for his penalty as Ramsdale guessed as it would be to keep his field-kick. That leaves him two on the abet of Leicester’s 23-draw Vardy, who has two video games left.
Adams added a 98th-minute 2nd from Michael Obafemi’s circulation as Bournemouth despatched most of their gamers forward.
Ralph Hasenhuttl’s side face Sheffield United subsequent week in their last sport.
Man of the match – Aaron Ramsdale
‘Now we must always imagine or no longer it is capability’ – what the managers stated
Bournemouth supervisor Eddie Howe speaking to BBC Sport: “In some ways it assemble of mirrored our season.
“It was a extremely merciless twist. We worked so onerous to develop the chances we wanted and likewise you watched in that 2nd you hold gotten been rewarded.
“Now we hold had a couple of nearly about moments. If that was scored last yr it would hold counted. It completely hurt us psychologically in that 2nd.
“We had been within the game. The gamers had been dedicated to every thing we requested them to raise out this present day. I’m upset with the two goals we conceded.
“Now we hold purchased to tranquil imagine it is capability. It is subtle and fate is out of our fingers. We’ll wait and leer.”
Southampton boss Ralph Hasenhuttl to BBC Sport: “We had it in our hold fingers to create it obvious and big potentialities within the 2nd half. I deem Ingsy most efficient makes the restful ones, no longer the easy ones.
“He had to wait to shoot (the penalty) and doubtless he’s enthralling in regards to the 21 goals in his solutions and doubtless getting 22.
“The 2nd draw would hold killed the game earlier so it was a huge wrestle from my side. You leer it is no longer foremost to play for relegation or Europa league, it is sufficient to play for three factors.”
Match stats – most efficient Liverpool larger on highway than Saints
- Bournemouth hold suffered their 22nd league defeat of the season; most efficient within the 1933-34 Third Division South (24) and the 1983-84 Third Division (23) hold they misplaced extra.
- Southampton hold picked up 31 factors in away league video games this season, their most efficient ever return on the highway in a high-flight campaign, whereas most efficient champions Liverpool (41) hold earned extra within the 2019-20 Premier League.
- Southampton are unbeaten in six Premier League fits (W3 D3), their longest such trot since going seven unbeaten from April to August 2016.
- Danny Ings has scored in 19 different Premier League video games this season, essentially the most by any Southampton player in a single season within the competition, overtaking James Beattie’s 18 in 2002-03.
- Che Adams’ strike for Southampton (97: 56) was the latest Premier League draw since November 2011, when Yakubu scored in opposition to Wigan for Blackburn (98: 14).
- Southampton’s Nathan Redmond has assisted four Premier League goals in opposition to Bournemouth, on the least twice as many as he has versus another opponent. Redmond has assisted a draw in three consecutive league video games for the first time in his career.
- Southampton hold neglected three of their four penalties within the Premier League this season, whereas Ings neglected one for the very first time within the competition having scored each of his first four.